Vault Boy image, as it appears appears in Fallout.
The critical hits you cause in combat are more devastating. You gain a 20% bonus on the critical hit table, almost ensuring that more damage will be done. This does not affect the chance to cause a critical hit.”— in-game description, Fallout
Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout TacticsEdit
With this perk, you gain +20% on the critical hit table, ensuring more damage by critical hit and your attack can sometimes trigger an instant kill effect, that can kill the target no matter the amount of damage you've inflicted (you can do 0 damage and kill your target instantly).
- The perk doesn't affect the chance to cause a critical hit, just the damage.
- Taking this perk is the only way to get over 100 when rolling for a critical hit. This allows you to instantly kill a creature with a roll of 101 or more.
- The instant kill effect is independent of damage. This perk makes it possible to kill something while doing 0 damage.
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New VegasEdit
With this perk, weapon's crit dmg is increased by 50%.
- This affects Sneak Attack Criticals too, making it an ideal choice for characters with high Sneak.
- Use weapons with a high critical multiplier and high critical bonus damage to maximize damage per second.
- Due to the way in which the critical hits are determined, any weapon that produces multiple independent projectiles per shot (e.g. the combat shotgun, various unique scattershot laser weapons) will individually check each hit for a critical when firing outside of V.A.T.S and do the full bonus critical damage for each success. Since criticals are automatic in sneak mode, point blank sneak attacks with one of these weapons will inflict X times the critical damage rating of the weapon, where X is the number of individual projectiles fired; for some weapons this outstrips the damage of the Fat Man.
- In Fallout 3, if you have only 5 Luck and not the required 6 in order to obtain the perk, a character can equip the Lucky 8-ball which yields +1 to Luck. You can then get the perk the next time you level up, and you'll keep the perk even if you remove the 8-ball reducing your Luck back to 5.