Following a lost cause, I'm afraid. My old friend Nephi fell in with a bad crowd. Drug runners, raiders, probably worse things it's better not to dwell on. When his gang headed west, I followed. (What brought you here)”
Bert previously lived in New Canaan located in the ruins of pre-War Ogden, Utah. He left the town for New Vegas six months prior to the Courier's ambush by Benny and the Great Khans, where he joined the Followers of the Apocalypse and became a doctor. He now resides in the Aerotech Office Park as the refugee camp's doctor and leader alongside Captain Parker.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
Effects of player's actionsEdit
Bert will comment on the death of Driver Nephi if the player character speaks to him after killing Nephi, stating that he hopes Nephi's soul is at peace. No explanation is made as to how he knows Nephi, though cut dialogue exists which elaborates on this point (see behind the scenes).
If asked who he is, Bert will mention that within the Church he is known as "Elder Gunnarsson", making Bert one of the few residents of New Vegas to identify themselves as belonging to a specific religion; in this case, Mormonism.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Wasteland doctor fatigues
|.357 magnum revolver||2 Fixer
- He's one of the few doctors in the game who will heal the Courier for free, though he can't remove rads or addiction.
- He, along with Kyle Edwards, is one of the few ghouls that have retained their human eye color in the Mojave.
- He is one of the few Followers of the Apocalypse members as of 2281 who is affiliated with the NCR.
- "I give what aid and comfort I can. I have medical knowledge thanks to my time with the Followers."
- "Poor lost souls, most of them. They thought to come to New Vegas and find their fortunes on its shining Strip. But the journey is often long, and the price to enter the city is steep. Those who could not pay ended up here, hoping to earn the caps they need. Some find honest labor, but more fritter away what little they've saved on crooked gambling and cheap liquor. Still, I minister to them as I can."refugees)
- "Following a lost cause, I'm afraid. My old friend Nephi fell in with a bad crowd. Drug runners, raiders, probably worse things it's better not to dwell on. When his gang headed west, I followed."
Bert Gunnarsson appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
According to cut dialogue, Bert was at one point friends with Driver Nephi prior to his arrival in New Vegas, presumably when both lived in Utah. Nephi "fell in with a bad crowd," and when he and his gang moved to the West, Bert followed in the hopes of redeeming his friend. Bert states that he thought he "could turn [Nephi] back to the Church," indicating that Nephi at one point may have been a Mormon as well.
|End of information based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|