| ||For other characters in the Fallout universe named Ben, see Ben.|
Thank God... water... I'm out. You've got to give me some water or I'm done for...”
Canning isn't like those other lay-abouts, waiting on the threshold of a settlement for a hand-out. No, Canning is an adventurer who is almost completely unprepared for Wasteland exploring, a fact he proves when he rushes up to you. He is friendly though, for a beggar.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
Ben Canning appears in a random encounter. Upon meeting, the Lone Wanderer may choose to give him water or let him die. Unlike the water beggars found outside Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, and Rivet City who will only accept purified water, Ben will also accept dirty water. (He will not accept Aqua Pura, Aqua Cura, or holy water.) If you have both purified and dirty water in your inventory, the game will prioritize the latter over the former. If given water, he proceeds to drink it repeatedly; when activated, he apologetically tells the character that he's not up to traveling yet. Standing after a minute or two, he simply says "Good to see you again, friend!" If you refuse to give him water, he will ask you to shoot him in the head, because he is out of ammunition, or else he would do it himself. You will take a negative Karma hit if you choose to comply with this request.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
- If he is given water, he will follow the same looping route as the caravan merchants.
- If he is not given water, he will die.
- If attacked after being given the water he will reply "I'm on your side" instead of instantly attacking you.
- Because he is equipped with a laser pistol, but carries microfusion cells instead of small energy cells, he has no ammunition for his weapon and is forced to fight with his fists if engaged in combat.
- You can reverse pickpocket energy cells onto Ben. This will allow him to use his laser pistol to defend himself, but at the cost of Karma loss to yourself.
- When given water he takes out an empty Nuka-Cola bottle or a beer bottle instead of the usual plastic water bottles.
Ben Canning appears only in Fallout 3.
pc He may be hostile upon first meeting him. [verified]