Bells can be placed anywhere there is sufficient space.
- The bell is located under Resources → Miscellaneous.
- While a bell can be placed anywhere, it's most useful to place one by an open area, where settlers can congregate and the player character can maneuver around and through them.
- Activating a bell can be especially useful in larger settlements when trying to identify settlers who need to be assigned a job, or settlers who need better equipment.
- Settlers start reacting to the bell after about 5 minutes, game time. The bell meeting is done, and settlers start to disperse, after about 30 minutes, game time.
- Sometimes, a few settlers won't come at the sound of the bell.
- Companions, including inactive potential companions, ignore the sound of the bell.
- The post of the bell is roughly the same height as a shack wall. This means that, in building a structure, the bell can be positioned so its post appears to be a structural support of the building, with the bell attached to the support.