Cleanup (Issue: Needs confirmation on most of the content (Resistances, rewards, alternate fighter), plus general cleanup of walls of text)
To meet Nukapedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by improving the article.
Become a Prizefighter
Impress Stuart by fighting the opponents
|Side Quest: Become a Prizefighter|
|Speak with Stuart Little.|
|Decide which name will you be known as.|
|Reward: 500 XP, $50|
|Defeat Pete McKneely.|
|Reward: 750 XP, $50|
|Defeat Evan Holyfeld.|
|Reward: 1000 XP, $400|
|Defeat the Masticator.|
|Reward: 2500 XP, $1000, Prizefighter reputation|
Four different opponents will have to be defeated in order to win:
- First fight: Joqq
- Second fight: Pete McKneely
- Third fight: Evan Holyfeld
- Final fight: The Masticator
If the Chosen One goes into the Jungle Gym and talks with Stuart Little, they can box. If the Chosen One is female or has a Strength lower than 6, they will have to pass a relatively easy Speech check. They will meet four increasingly difficult opponents: Joqq ($50, 500 XP), Pete McKneely ($50, 750 XP), Evan Holyfeld ($400, 1,000 XP), and The Masticator ($1000, 2,500 XP) (if he is killed, they will face Xander Holyland instead). This is assuming that the Chosen One gets 50% of the winnings; with Speech 76% and Barter 76% the Chosen One can get 75% instead. The Chosen One can also get kill experience (XP) for any boxers beaten to death; this should happen some of the time and counts as a knockout. Other ways of winning include: "normal" knockout (if the Chosen One score a critical hit that knocks their opponent unconscious or if he himself manages a critical failure), technical knockout (if the Chosen One makes him flee), and points (if the Chosen One somehow manages to make a fight last 12 full rounds and win the majority of them by landing more punches than their opponent). If they win four matches, the Chosen One gets the Prizefighter reputation, which lets them empty the gym lockers, making the Chosen One popular in New Reno and gives them a +5% bonus to their Unarmed skill.
Should the Chosen One lose a fight or kick the boxers, they must ask Little for a rematch immediately or they won't get another chance. They will then go up against another boxer (the Chosen One's royalties will drop to 25%, but the XP gained is the same). Little can only be convinced to give one more chance (unless a bug is exploited), which means the Chosen One can fight five matches in all, and there's a tempting reason to do that (see notes below).
- Each time the fight starts the Chosen One has equipped boxing gloves.
- If the Chosen One has plated boxing gloves, they will be added instead.
- At the start of every match, if the Chosen One has either kind of gloves, they get a permanent +3 bonus to Damage Threshold for normal damage (to a maximum of 100), -1 for plasma and explosive damage, and a bonus to Damage Resistance (DR) for each listed damage type except fire (to a maximum of 90%). If Chosen One only has normal gloves, they get +1% DR for all four types, but if Chosen One has plated ones, he/she gets +2% for normal damage, +5% for laser damage and +1% for the others (there's also a -1% penalty to Chosen One's unlisted EMP resistance, but this doesn't matter in the least; the electricity resistance is unaffected).
- The Chosen One get to keep these bonuses even if they lose the match. Therefore, in the fourth match, the Chosen One can kick the opponent, ask Stuart Little for another shot, then win the final match (the Masticator's replacement is significantly weaker and doesn't bite) to get a fifth toughness bonus.
- Switching to kicking or unequipping the boxing gloves and then landing a blow results in disqualification.
- If the Chosen One keeps fighting and has Unarmed at about 160% or higher, they may end up biting Masticator's ear.
- A Chosen One with an Intelligence less than 4 can box providing they are male and have Strength 6. Aside from getting no pay and no rematch, things work the same. Female characters or male characters with Strength less than 6 have to persuade Stuart Little to box.
- If Masticator is too difficult to defeat, it is possible to go in the basement of Shark Club and kill him there for 1000 XP and -5 Karma. However, he will be replaced with Xander Holyland in the ring.
Behind the scenesEdit
- When picking the name for the box, some are silly. Among them the Chosen One can pick Balboa, Clubber Lang, Drago or Apollo - a reference to the movie series Rocky.
- One of the possible names is Glass Joe, a reference to the game Punch-Out!!.
- When the Chosen one bites off the Masticator's ear or vice-versa it is reference to the infamous boxing incident in which Mike Tyson bit off a portion of Evander Holyfield's ear.