|Institute side quest: Banished from the Institute|
|Become an enemy of the Institute.|
|Return to or escape from the Institute.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
|Leads to: Form Ranks|
There are multiple ways to get banished:
- Refuse to work with the Institute when you meet Father for the first time.
- Kill any named character in the Institute.
- Talk to Father negatively at the end of The Battle of Bunker Hill (select the "I want out" and then "I can't be a part of this" options). This will auto-complete the quest.
- Board the Vertibird that spawns on the Prydwen to Mass Fusion with the Brotherhood of Steel during Spoils of War.
- Support the Minutemen during Pinned.
To exit the Institute, simply head for the elevator and head up. Look for a bright red button in the room and push it to activate the emergency relay. Walk into the relay and the countdown begins, upon reaching half-way through the countdown, Father will speak over the intercom. If he was killed, an Institute scientist will speak instead, expressing horror at the fact that the Sole Survivor has killed their own son, and tells them to run and promises to kill the player character once found.
If outside of the Institute, return to that location. The Sole Survivor will teleport back to the relay, and Father will speak over the intercom.
- Becoming enemies with the Institute automatically fails Underground Undercover. Instead, Burning Cover begins.
- If the player became enemies with the Institute, and they did not complete From Within for the Brotherhood of Steel, then Liberty Reprimed will have additional phases that need to be completed.
- Becoming enemies with the Institute is required to begin The Nuclear Option for the Minutemen.
- Completing Ad Victoriam and starting The Nuclear Option for the Brotherhood of Steel automatically completes this quest if the player became enemies with the Institute while outside that location.
- X6-88 will attack the Sole Survivor on sight. This will only occur if he was sent to a settlement.
- Killing Father during Nuclear Family will complete the storyline and make the player become enemies with the Institute.
- Every named Institute human that is killed will spawn two synths in the room before the relay room. Choosing to kill everybody in the Institute before leaving can make the player face at least 80 synths at once. [verification overdue]