|Institute side quest: Banished from the Institute|
|Become an enemy of the Institute.|
|Leave the Institute.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
|Leads to: Form Ranks|
There are multiple ways to get banished:
- Refuse to work with the Institute when you meet Father for the first time.
- Kill any named character in the Institute.
- Talk to Father negatively at the end of The Battle of Bunker Hill (select the "I want out" and then "I can't be a part of this" options.
- Board the Vertibird to the Mass Fusion building with the Brotherhood of Steel during Spoils of War.
- Support the Minutemen during Pinned.
To exit the Institute, simply head for the elevator and head up. Look for a bright red button in the room and push it. Walk into the circle and the emergency teleportation will activate.
- Unlocking and completing this quest prevents the player character from beating the game by siding with The Institute or The Railroad but it DOES unlock the ability to beat the game with the Commonwealth Minutemen (in other words, to beat the game as the Minutemen, one must become an enemy of the Institute). The ability to beat the game with the Brotherhood remains, but if the player character did not complete From Within, then the quest Liberty Reprimed will have additional phases that need to be completed.
- Once this mission is complete, all synths under the Institute's control in the Wasteland will be hostile to the Sole Survivor, no matter what.
- X6-88 will no longer be recruitable, and will attack the player character on sight. This will only occur if he was sent to a settlement.
- When reaching the relay where the Sole Survivor first teleported into the Institute, there will be a countdown, upon reaching half-way through the countdown, Father will speak over the intercom. If Father is dead, an Institute scientist will speak instead, expressing horror at the fact that the Sole Survivor has killed their own son, and tells them to run and promises to kill the player character once found.
- It appears as though, for every named Institute human that is killed, two synths spawn in the room before the relay room. This means if the player character should choose to kill everybody in the Institute before leaving, they could be faced with at least 80 synths at once. [verification overdue]