The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
The ballistic weave is an armor mod that allows adding defensive stats to certain clothing items, including outfits, clothing that can be worn under armor, and a small number of hats.
This crafting ability can be learned from Tinker Tom after performing certain quests for the Railroad faction. Once this skill is learned, one can upgrade any applicable clothing item at an armor workbench.
Obtaining the skillEdit
Progress through the initial Railroad faction quests until P.A.M. offers a series of minor Jackpot missions to secure DIA caches. These only become available after completing Boston After Dark and Mercer Safehouse.
After completing the first or second jackpot mission, Drummer Boy will tell the Sole Survivor that they need to speak to Tinker Tom, who will inform them about the ballistic fiber technology found in the DIA cache. At this point the Ballistic weave is unlocked at any armor workbench and Tom will sell some armored gear of his own.
|Mod||Base ID|| Damage Resist
dr energy radiation
|Description||Armorer Perk Required|
|Ballistic weave||0020de3f||dr30 energy30||Improves Damage and Energy Resistance.||None|
|Ballistic weave MkII||0022dc7a||dr45 energy45||Improves Damage and Energy Resistance.||Rank 1|
|Ballistic weave MkIII||0022dc7b||dr65 energy65||Improves Damage and Energy Resistance.||Rank 2|
|Ballistic weave MkIV||0022dc7c||dr90 energy90||Improves Damage and Energy Resistance.||Rank 3|
|Ballistic weave MkV||0022dc7d||dr110 energy110||Improves Damage and Energy Resistance.||Rank 4|
|Institute Killer weave||00220714||dr20 energy20||Grants 10% bonus damage against Institute members and synths.||None|
The following is a list of all clothing that can be upgraded, and if the item can either be worn underneath armor pieces or as a hat.
|Clothing||Free Armor Slots||Effect|
|Agatha's dress||None||Charisma +3|
|Army fatigues||All||Strength +1
|Atom Cats jacket and jeans||Legs||Luck +2|
|Baseball uniform||All||Strength +1|
|Battered fedora||Hat||Luck +1|
|Black vest and slacks||None||Endurance +2|
|Cabot's lab coat||None||Intelligence +1|
|Casual outfit||None||Perception +1|
|Checkered shirt and slacks||None||Charisma +2|
|Child of Atom *All Variants||None||Endurance +2|
|Clean blue suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Clean grey suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Clean striped suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Clean tan suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Courser uniform||None||Perception +1|
|Dirty army fatigues||All||Strength +1|
|Dirty black suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Dirty blue suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Dirty grey suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Dirty postman uniform||None||Endurance +1|
|Dirty tan suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Dirty striped suit||None||Charisma +2|
|Dirty trench coat||None||Charisma +1|
|Faded trench coat||None||Perception +2|
|Farmhand clothes||None||Endurance +2|
|Father's lab coat||None||Intelligence +2|
|Feathered dress||None||Charisma +2|
|Geneva's ensemble||None||Perception +1|
|Greaser jacket and jeans||Legs||Luck +2|
|Green rag hat||Hat||energy10|
|Green shirt and combat boots||All||Charisma +1|
|Hooded rags||None||Endurance +2|
|Hunter's long coat fo4fh||None||radiation2|
|Lab coat||None||Intelligence +2|
|Laundered blue dress||Arms||Charisma +2|
|Laundered denim dress||Arms||Charisma +2|
|Laundered green dress||Arms||Charisma +2|
|Laundered loungewear||Arms||Charisma +1|
|Laundered pink dress||Arms||Charisma +2|
|Laundered rose dress||Arms||Charisma +2|
|Legend of the Harbor fo4fh||Head||Perception +2|
Mirelurk/Bug Damage reduced by 15%
|Lorenzo's suit||None||Charisma +2|
|MacCready's duster||None||Agility +1|
|Maxson's battlecoat||None||Perception +1 dr50|
|Mechanic jumpsuit||None||Intelligence +1|
|Mechanist's armor fo4aut||Head||Endurance +1 dr72 energy72
Robot Damage reduced by 15%
|Military fatigues||All||Agility +2|
|Minuteman outfit||All||Perception +1|
|Newsboy cap||Hat||Charisma +1|
|Nuka-World jumpsuit fo4nw||Head||Perception +1|
|Padded blue jacket||None||Charisma +1|
|Pastor's vestments||None||Charisma +1|
|Patched three-piece suit||None||Perception +1|
|Postman uniform||None||Charisma +1|
|Ratty skirt||None||Charisma +2|
|Red dress||Arms||Charisma +2|
|Red frock coat||None||Perception +1|
|Reginald's suit||None||Charisma +3|
|Red leather trench coat||None||Charisma +1|
|Robes of Atom's Devoted fo4fh||Head||Special radiation resistance
|Sequin dress||Arms||Charisma +2|
|Submariner uniform||None||Endurance +2|
|Summer shorts||Arms and Legs||Charisma +2|
|Surveyor outfit||None||Endurance +1|
|Suspenders and slacks||None||Endurance +2|
|Sweater vest and slacks||None|
|T-shirt and slacks||None||Charisma +2|
|Tattered rags||All||Luck +1|
|Trilby hat||Hat||Charisma +1|
|Utility coveralls||None||Carry Weight +5|
|Yellow trench coat||None||Charisma +1|
- The player character must have the armorer perk in order to apply this mod beyond the first level. Higher levels of the perk allow applying stronger versions of the mod, up to 110 Damage Resistance and 110 Energy Resistance on a single article of clothing.
- All levels of this mod require varying amounts of crafting materials.
- Learning this mod only requires doing a few missions for P.A.M. for the Railroad faction. One wishing to join other factions should be able to safely learn this mod and move on, with the exception of those who have already reached "point of no return" missions with conflicting factions.
- Many, but not all, companion's base outfits (and some hats) can be upgraded with weave. If one wants to keep a companion in their original outfit but maintain protection at higher levels this is the best option.
- The strongest resistance that can be obtained on a single item is achieved by weaving the Mechanist's armor, an Automatron add-on armor set, with 182 Damage Resistance and 182 Energy Resistance. Weaving items that allow other armor slots can bring resistance levels higher than 300.
- pc Due to the dialog flag setting, it is possible to miss the chance of learning this mod. Drummer Boy will keep telling you Tinker Tom wanted to see you but Tinker Tom won't initiate the corresponding dialogue. Console command SetStage 5BC93 260 will fix this.[verified]
- One may also get this mod without doing P.A.M.'s mission by typing:
Set RailroadClothingArmorModAvailable to 1in the console.
Set RailroadClothingArmor_ChanceNone to 0
- One may also get this mod without doing P.A.M.'s mission by typing:
- pc ps4 Will sometimes not give you the ability to get the weave if you have already finished the game with the Minutemen.[verified]
- pc Clean black suit can be modded, but is currently bugged in-game and prevents the player character from upgrading it on an armor bench; the only solution for this is to use console commands. Tom may occasionally sell armored clean black suits, and those can be upgraded normally.[verified]
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.