Back in Your Own Backyard
Three NCR troopers, crucified in Nelson
I have to admit, I didn't think you could do it. Guess that makes me the sap and you the hero.”— Milo
|Side Quest: Back in Your Own Backyard|
|Talk to Ranger Milo in the NCR checkpoint southwest of Nelson.|
|Kill all of the Legion members and rescue the NCR hostages.||Just kill the hostages.|
|Reward: 150 XP, 50 caps and NCR fame, plus Caesar's Legion infamy.||Reward: 150 XP, 50 caps and Caesar's Legion infamy.|
|1||Kill the NCR hostages or save them.|
|2||Quest finished||Return to Ranger Milo at the NCR checkpoint.|
- This quest provides 'history' with Boone (a requirement for his side quest). The player will gain one 'point' if they kill the hostages, and two 'points' if they rescue them.
- After Milo says he is going to cover you Boone will say, "To hell with mercy killing; we're getting those men out alive!", and after rescuing the hostages, Boone will voice his opinion of the operation, stating that mercy killing is a "last resort".
- This quest and Restoring Hope can be done in any order, despite the obvious fact that the NCR, upon taking control of the town, should have released the hostages themselves. The NCR troops walking around Nelson seem oblivious to the three crucified men. If you released them while securing the town, speaking to Milo will be enough to activate and finish the quest. Likewise, Milo's quest only requires you to kill the Legion troops stationed in the open; the primary target for Restoring Hope, Dead Sea, resides in one of the buildings and does not need to be killed. Killing him results in not needing to do so later in Restoring Hope.
- Don't forget to check a footlocker in the makeshift firing position where you meet Ranger Milo, as you can find two bricks of C-4 and a detonator.
Behind the scenesEdit
- This quest's title refers to the famous song of the same name sung by Billie Holiday.
- ps3 xbox360 pc Ranger Milo will not recognize that the Courier saved the hostages until all Legion members are dead. Keep in mind that there are several guard towers on the outskirts manned by recruit legionaries, far enough that the Courier may not even see them on his/her radar. Until this condition is fulfilled, Milo will stay in the "active" position. Note that Dead Sea, who resides in the command building, is not counted as part of this. However, any Legion Mongrels are included regardless of whether the Courier has the Animal Friend perk. [verified]
- Due to the amount of bugs with Milo, it's recommended that the Courier assaults Nelson and rescue the hostages before he/she speak to Ranger Milo. Once the Courier is finished with the mission he/she can head back up to the encampment and Milo will run to him/her and comment on how Nelson was taken.The Courier will still get the experience and NCR fame for doing the mission beforehand.
- ps3 It is possible that Boone will not recognize that the Courier saved the hostages and will react negatively towards the him/her as if the Courier decided to execute them. [verified]