| ||For an overview of assault rifle models in the Fallout series of games, see assault rifle.|
Fed from a side-mounted magazine, this gas-operated assault rifle has anti-aircraft style sights and a water-cooled jacket that shrouds the barrel and maintains its temperature under sustained fire, pumped using water stored in the weapon's telescoping stock. It includes a charging handle on the right and a carry handle on the top, all fashioned out of durable wood. Now a common sight in the Commonwealth, this assault rifle is used by higher-ranking raiders, Gunners officers, and some super mutants.
The assault rifle starts off semi-automatic, but can be modded or found with an automatic receiver at the expense of a hefty damage reduction. A regular, semi-automatic, non legendary assault rifle with all of the highest level mods equipped deals around 99 damage assuming the Sole Survivor has all of the Rifleman perks. The weapon is incredibly heavy for an assault rifle, weighing 13.1 pounds (5.9 kg) unmodified with a short barrel, and when fully modified it rivals the minigun in weight.
The assault rifle has low recoil and good accuracy (even when fitted with a fully automatic receiver), both of which are excellent handling traits for sustained automatic fire, though the weapon can burn through ammo rapidly; this can be compounded by the relative scarcity of 5.56mm rounds at lower levels that can be looted from enemies without the Scrounger perk, so fire discipline is necessary. Burst firing is advised, especially for long range engagements. Unfortunately, the weapon is difficult to extensively modify without heavy investment in the Gun Nut perk, and one investment in the Science! perk for its more advanced optical sights. However, since assault rifles begin to replace combat rifles and pipe weapons as enemy armament once the player character reaches a sufficiently high level, modified examples can be found/looted as well, some of which will eventually come equipped with highest-level mods such as suppressors or recon scopes.
- Carried by many raiders, Gunners and super mutants once the player character reaches a high-enough level (~ level 25).
- Can be purchased from the following vendors:
- One can be found next to a door control terminal in the lowest level of the Massachusetts State House, outside the area where a mirelurk queen spawns.
- One can be found next to the Expert locked terminal in the National Guard recruitment office on top of a container.
- One is carried by Captain Maria at Parsons State Insane Asylum.
- Another is carried by Edward Deegan of the Cabot Family.
- One can be found inside the crashed vertibird at Coast Guard Pier (may require use of explosives to get into a reachable range).
- One can be found in Kendall Hospital, on a table next to a lit lantern in the raider area above the deathclaw.
- fo4nw Sold at the Nuka-Cade for 10100 Nuka-Cade tickets (items rotate every couple of days).
- The assault rifle is the only gun in the base game that takes 5.56 ammo.
- When used for sneak attacks in V.A.T.S., the assault rifle fires only one shot per action even when upgraded with an automatic receiver, a trait that goes a long way towards making the most efficient use of its scarce ammunition type. Outside of sneak mode, however, it will fire several shots per burst just like any other automatic weapon.
- In the game files it is actually called "MachineGun," while "AssaultRifle" refers to a cut version of the Chinese assault rifle.
- The texture for the suppressor shows that the assault rifle was once intended to be a .50 caliber weapon.
- The icon used in the "Favorite items" menu resembles a Chinese assault rifle, despite Fallout 4 not having one.
- After reloading, the player character does not cock the gun with the charging handle.