Vault Boy image, as it appears in Fallout.
Animals will not attack one of their friends, unless the animal is threatened or attacked first. Exactly what an animal is in this world is open to debate.”— in-game description, Fallout
In Fallout, with this perk, some animals will not attack the player character, unless the animal is attacked first. This perk applies to all forms of rats and radscorpions except those in the Shady Sands radscorpion caves.
With the first rank of this perk, animals simply won’t attack the player character. With the second rank, these creatures will come to the character's aid in combat, but never against other animals.
This perk affects:
A new dialogue option becomes available when speaking to Tree Father Birch in Oasis. He will then explain to the Lone Wanderer why there are many animals in Oasis and how they are attracted to the sanctuary, though this doesn't have any benefits other than a little backstory of Oasis.
Fallout: New VegasEdit
With the first rank of this perk, animals won’t attack the player character. With the second rank, these creatures will come to the character's aid in combat, but never against other animals.
This perk affects:
- Fiend guard dog
- Gecko (except fire gecko)
- Giant rat
- Mole rat
- Legion mongrel
- NCR guard dog
- Night stalker
- In The Fort, this perk makes it possible to bypass the fight with Antony's dogs to get back Sergeant Teddy by telling him that animals are friendly so the dogs won't attack. He'll remark he thought there was something wrong with his dogs, as they usually have to be pulled off new visitors to the Fort, and since the fight wouldn't be fun, he'll just give up the bear.
- After Borous has been given Gabe's bowl and told that Gabe has been put down, this perk gives the option to express understanding of his feelings for the cyberdog.
- During the main quest You'll Know It When It Happens, you can take the search dog from the Ranger, allowing you to find the disguised Engineer.
- The perk icon in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas is visually different from the previous games, in which the rabbit had an extra ear, eye, tooth, and a webbed foot.
- This perk makes exploring most caves much safer.
- In Goodsprings, bighorners will attack the locals or Powder Gangers during the quest "Ghost Town Gunfight" or "Run Goodsprings Run" rather than fleeing.
- When attacking any Caesar's Legion members with Legion mongrels, the dogs will turn on their owners.
- Despite being classified as animals for the Animal Control challenge, lakelurks and fire geckos are unaffected by this perk.
- While the usefulness of this perk did not scale very well in Fallout 3, the presence of highly dangerous night stalkers makes this useful even into very high levels and areas, such as in Old World Blues (especially against Shadis in Big MT) and also against the legendary night stalker inside the Bloodborne cave.
- The picture for the Animal Friend perk is a reference to Harvey.
- Unlike the yao guai in Fallout 3, yao guai in Honest Hearts are not affected by this perk.
- With the 2nd rank of this perk, animals won't come to a character's aid who is fighting members of the Dead Horses.