Animals will not attack one of their friends, unless the animal is threatened or attacked first. Exactly what an animal is in this world is open to debate.”— in-game description, Fallout
In Fallout, with this perk, some animals will not attack the player character, unless the animal is attacked first. This perk applies to all forms of rats and radscorpions except those in Shady Sands' radscorpion caves.
With the first rank of this perk, animals will simply not attack the player character. With the second rank, these creatures will come to their aid in combat, but never against other animals.
This perk affects:
A new dialogue option becomes available when speaking to Tree Father Birch in Oasis. He will then explain to the Lone Wanderer why there are many animals in Oasis and how they are attracted to the sanctuary, though this doesn't have any benefits other than a little backstory of Oasis.
Fallout: New VegasEdit
With the first rank of this perk, animals will not attack the player character. With the second rank, these creatures will come to the character's aid in combat, but never against other animals.
This perk affects:
- In The Fort, this perk makes it possible to bypass the fight with Antony's dogs to get back Sergeant Teddy by telling him that animals are friendly to the courier so the dogs will not attack. He will remark that he thought there was something wrong with his dogs, as they usually have to be pulled off new visitors to the Fort, and since the fight would not be fun, he will just give up the bear.
- After Borous has been given Gabe's bowl and told that Gabe has been put down, this perk gives the option to express understanding of his feelings for the cyberdog.
- During the main quest You'll Know It When It Happens, the search dog can be taken from the Ranger, allowing the player to find the disguised Engineer.
- The perk icon in Fallout is visually different from future games, due to the rabbit having an extra ear, eye, tooth, and a webbed foot.
- In Goodsprings, bighorners will attack the locals or Powder Gangers during the quest "Ghost Town Gunfight" or "Run Goodsprings Run" rather than fleeing.
- When attacking any Caesar's Legion members with Legion mongrels, the dogs will turn on their owners.
- Despite being classified as animals for the Animal Control challenge, lakelurks and fire geckos are unaffected by this perk. Conversely, night stalkers are affected by this perk, despite being classified as abominations.
- While the usefulness of this perk did not scale very well in Fallout 3, the presence of highly dangerous night stalkers makes this useful even into very high levels and areas, such as in Old World Blues (especially against Shadis in Big MT) and also against the legendary night stalker inside the Bloodborne cave.
- The picture for the Animal Friend perk is a reference to Harvey.
- Unlike the yao guai in Fallout 3, yao guai in Honest Hearts are not affected by this perk.
- With the 2nd rank of this perk, animals will not come to aid someone who is fighting members of the Dead Horses.
Commune with beasts! With your gun, aim at any animal below your level and gain a chance to pacify it.”— Rank 1 description
|1||CH 5||Commune with beasts! With your gun, aim at any animal below your level and gain a chance to pacify it.||0001e67f|
|2||CH 5, LVL 12||When you successfully pacify an animal, you can incite it to attack||0004a0d9|
|3||CH 5, LVL 28||When you successfully pacify an animal, you can give it specific commands||001d2450|
Affecting an animal requires looking down your sights and pressing the confirm/use button. Success will be indicated with an animation, whereas failure will give you a notification. Once you have made an attempt on an animal, you cannot immediately make a second attempt. You must be within a certain range of the animal to pacify it, while Inciting/Commanding requires an even closer range. This perk affects the following animals (list may not be complete):
Note that insect creatures such as bloatflies, stingwings, and radscorpions are not affected by this perk, instead requiring the Wasteland Whisperer perk.
The Sole Survivor will sometimes make species specific comments when pacifying and inciting targets.
|Brahmin||"Shhh... It's okay, girl."||?||?|
|House cat||"Now now... It's okay..."||?||?|
|Mole rat||"Hey... Little buddy!"||?||?|
|Mutant hound||"Be calm! Obey!"||?||?|
|Radstag||"Great stag! I am friend!"||?||?|
|Yao guai||"S'okay, Big Bear."||?||?|