Fallout 3 locations project
The Anchorage War Memorial
The Anchorage Memorial is an underground area residing underneath a bronze monument commemorating the battles at the Anchorage Front Line in Alaska. It is located in the southeast quadrant of the Capital Wasteland. It is inhabited by mirelurks.
Constructed in 2077 on what was previously Theodore Roosevelt Island in the Potomac, the monument has withstood the elements for two centuries and was still standing by 2277. A sprawling underground installation was built under the base of the monument. The facility contains kitchens and meat processing rooms to handle the "products" as well as breeding "pods" in the lower levels.
After the war, a group of wastelanders herded the emerging mirelurk population into the facility, resulting in the mirelurks building a nest inside. Then they used them as source of fresh meat, selling large quantities of it to passing traders, earning large amounts of caps. This encroached upon a competitor, who began losing business to the operation. Eventually, a mercenary team was dispatched, but ended up releasing the mirelurks, which promptly killed most, if not all of the people in the complex.
The Anchorage Memorial consists of four interior sections:
The monument rests on a man-made island in the middle of the Potomac River. It is connected to the west bank of the river by a small bridge with several frag mines setup in the shape of a ribbon. There are four entrances into the facility: one on the north side of the monument which connects to the Facility, one on the south that connects to the service entrance, one to the south under water that connects to the office, and one right next to the monument on the west side at the end of a staircase. To the north of Anchorage Memorial is a super mutant camp against the border of the downtown D.C. area. There is a tent with a captive behind two large trucks, with several interconnected buildings that were destroyed during the Great War. There is also a statue modeled after a photograph that was taken in the Anchorage Reclamation simulation. Oddly enough, the soldiers' armor on the statue looks totally different from the actual armor worn in the simulation.
Anchorage Memorial facilityEdit
The living quarters and main workspace for the wastelanders who ran the meat processing facility. The area consists of two floors with minor loot and custom weapon components strewn about. On the second floor there is a work bench against the south wall. There is one mirelurk that wanders this floor. On the first floor there is a safe with the door component in the west room, which appears to have served as a doctor's office. There is also a Nuka-Cola vending machine next to the stairwell on the north wall. The access codes holotape can be found behind the vending machine and there are two exits which lead to the facility bay on both floors. Pre-War books can be found in the room on second floor.
Anchorage Memorial facility bayEdit
This area serves as a hub that connects the other three areas together. It consists of four levels with supply crates and machinery. The second floor has exits which lead to the facility, office, and service entrance. The first floor has several mirelurk spawning pods and an exit to the Service Entrance. The third floor has an exit to the facility. Finally, the fourth floor exits to the Capital Wasteland. There are four mirelurks in this area along with a dead mercenary on the top floor with a note.
Memorial facility officesEdit
A couple of offices with an entrance to a large underground space. There is a wall safe in the office next to the entrance of the area. There is a Nuka-Cola vending machine against the west wall, next to some lockers and bathrooms. There is a hole in the floor leading to a lower area that serves as the mirelurk breeding ground. There are a lot of mirelurk spawning pods strewn about. A mirelurk king will spawn here, even at lower levels. There are also two other mirelurks. There is an exit to the Capital Wasteland under the water at the far end of the breeding area.
Memorial service entranceEdit
A small sewer area serving as a secondary breeding ground for the mirelurks. Also contains an entirely separate area that has what appears to be a dining facility for the workers, including a large kitchen with many refrigerators and a well-stocked bar. The area contains the utility room and a refrigerator with a secret compartment; both are initially inaccessible (except as noted below for the utility room).
The utility room (with around 3 mirelurks guarding it) is the last door on the right hand wall of the left branch, after entering the sewer area through the service entrance. The utility room is accessible with the door component found in the safe in the Anchorage Memorial Facility and a Repair skill of 35. If you don't have the door component, you can open it with a Repair skill of 95.
The lowest level of the area is a smaller space with several dead mirelurks and mirelurk meat strewn about. There is a refrigerator that contains a secret freezer compartment (A), which contains the stash mentioned in the Anchorage War Memorial stash holotape found in the utility room mentioned above. You can only access it with a successful Perception check of 5. The player cannot pick the lock for this compartment; the stash key (found in the utility room mentioned above) is needed to unlock it.
A door to the Capital Wasteland can be found in the sewer area at the end of the left passage.
- Pugilism Illustrated - on a bookshelf in the cargo trailer hitched to the yellow truck that forms the perimeter of the super mutant camp due north of the memorial.
Anchorage Memorial facilityEdit
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine - In the clinic area (C), next to the safe on the table to the right.
- Dean's Electronics - Inside the safe in the clinic area (C).
- Door component - Inside the safe in the clinic area (C).
- Pre-War books - Three of them on the second floor, in the room on the west side.
- Access codes - a holotape behind a Nuka-Cola vending machine
Memorial service entranceEdit
- Anchorage stash key - In the utility closet (B), on a shelf to the left.
- Anchorage War Memorial stash - Next to the key. This is a holotape describing where the stash is.
- Nuka-Cola Quantum - In the utility closet (B).
- Recipe - mirelurk cakes and 300 caps found in the secret freezer compartment (A). This is the actual stash mentioned in the holotape - Anchorage War Memorial stash.
- The Tenderizer - In the utility closet (B), on a shelf to the left.
- U.S. Army: 30 Handy Flamethrower Recipes - In the utility closet (B), on a shelf to the right.
- In the Operation: Anchorage add-on, inside the training simulation, the player can view a scene where an American war correspondent on the battlefield tells some soldiers to strike a "heroic" pose, and then takes a photo of them. The pose they strike is the same one as what the Anchorage Memorial statue depicts. He also states "Who knows? Maybe someone will turn this photo into a statue one day."
- The statue's soldier with the flamer uses a model not seen in the game, similar to the WWII M2 flamethrower, (the soldier in the simulation uses the normal flamethrower) and the soldier with the Fat Man has a missile launcher while the one in the middle has no change (in reference to the photo).
- Sometimes the soldier holding the Fat Man in the picture will actually spawn with a missile launcher instead.
- The park space around the statue's large plinth is a "Type A" random encounter location.
- North to slightly north west, across the river from the monument is a super mutant camp with a tent, where the final Keller family transcript can be found. In the same area as the tent, there is a semi truck where a copy of Pugilism Illustrated can be found.
Anchorage Memorial appears only in Fallout 3.