What are the chances I'll botch the same procedure twice in one day?”
Ada Straus is a doctor of questionable skill who can be found working in Novac with her two bodyguards. The group moves around the area behind the Dino Dee-lite Motel, stopping periodically near the pack brahmin at the tent, and the north and west road entrances to the town.
Despite her hapless demeanor, the services Ada provides are the same as those of any other wasteland doctor. In addition to medical supplies, she also sells other items like laser pistols and energy cells.
Interactions with the player character
- Straus Calls: Ada can provide medical assistance at reduced rates.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Wasteland doctor fatigues
Rawhide cowboy hat
|Laser pistol||Bottle caps
- Dr. Straus' lack of competence (even shown in her tagged skills, in which Medicine is not tagged) is revealed in her replies to the player:
- When the player requests medical supplies, she will exclaim "Yeah, and I need sterile medical supplies. But let's see what I have with me."
- Mentioning an addiction problem will prompt her to reply "Hey, pipe down. We can't talk about that here, out in the open," quickly followed by "Oh, you mean you want a cure. Oh."
- Upon requesting to heal radiation sickness, she will ask "Are you sure? You won't be able to read in the dark as well." If the treatment is accepted, she will say "Okay. And remember if this doesn't help, try taking a bath in tomato juice." If refused, she says "In that case, stand just like that for a second. I want to make some toast."
- One of her bodyguards will often remark "Between you and me, I don't think she studied at an accredited institution", with the other noting, "She hasn't paid me anything yet; should I be worried?".
- She is the only doctor in the wasteland who sells medical supplies with addictive chems at the same time.
- If the player has a "Wild Child" reputation in Novac, Ada remarks that "it's great for business" and to "keep it up". She will also provide a discount on her services.
- Killing her does not lower Karma; killing her bodyguards does, however.
- If the player requests that she treats a chem addiction and they do not have sufficient caps to pay (50 caps), she will reply "Why didn't you say so? No problem, I'll give you my free cure. Here, lean in. It's a special doctor secret". She then yells at the player "Stop doing chems!"
Dr. Ada Straus only appears in Fallout: New Vegas.