Well, I - oh, fine. Maybe you're no hogsfool, but I reckon we both come out better if you can help me cook up some tonic.”— Marguerite
|Side Quest: A Spoonful of Whiskey|
|Locate Marguerite's shack and speak to Marguerite.|
|Diagnose Marguerite's illness (Medicine), and convince her she's not sick (Speech).||Commiserate with her about orange fever.|
|Reward: 20 XP|
|Accept her bottle of moonshine, and get the list of ingredients she needs.|
|Search for 10 refined punga fruit, 3 bags of yeast and 6 fission batteries.|
|Ask about the still in her shack.|
|Agree to fix it.||Agree to fix it for 100 caps.||Agree to fix it for 200 caps (Speech).|
|Ignore the still||Fix the still (Repair).|
|Reward: 100 or 200 caps.|
|Return to Marguerite with the items.|
|Reward: 50 XP, 300 caps and 6 moonshine.|
|Wait 3 days.|
Marguerite will try and convince the Lone Wanderer that she is sick with "Orange Fever," and she needs these items to get better. If they pass a Medicine check, they point out that Orange Fever does not exist, they will then have to pass a Speech check. After this, she will admit that she makes moonshine and will ask the Lone Wanderer to gather these items for caps as well as a share of the moonshine.
The required items will total 82 pounds, or 92 pounds if the player character is carrying wild punga fruit. The yeast, batteries and fruit can be given to Marguerite separately if enough of each ingredient is gathered to fulfill the recipe's requirement.
The best place to find the required amount of both yeast and fission batteries is the panic room under Calvert Mansion, though it is only accessible if the player character has completed the Thought Control quest. If they haven't, then head over to Blackhall Manor, which holds plenty of yeast, and reportedly 6 fission batteries, though some scrupulous scavenging is required to find all 6. Yeast and batteries can also be found in the trapper's shack, and exactly 6 batteries and 3 yeasts are located at Turtledove Detention Camp.
As for the punga fruit, a ridiculous amount of refined punga fruit can be found at the Ark & Dove cathedral, though the player character must complete the Walking with Spirits quest in order to access the church. If they haven't completed the quest, then plenty of wild punga fruits can be found at the grower's shack. Of course, wild punga can be found all around the island, so it won't take the player character long to collect the required amount.
- If the player character wants to do the quest fast, they can buy 20 wild punga fruit from Tobar at the Point Lookout Pier.
- Haley usually stocks multiple fission batteries.
After the player character returns to Marguerite, they will need to turn in each ingredient separately (all at once, not one by one). Once the player character has given her all of the needed supplies, they must wait a day for completion of the moonshine.
The player character can repeat this quest infinitely for more experience and moonshine.
The Lone Wanderer will receive 300 caps and six jugs of moonshine. One can also repair her still for good Karma (10) or an additional 100 caps (200 with a speech check).
- If you truly value the effects moonshine gives you when consumed, or if you're in it for the +50 XP gained for each batch of moonshine collected, then repeat this task as often as you like. But if you're just trying to turn a profit, do not repeat this task if you have a Barter skill higher than 63. The collective sale value of the ingredients may be greater than the sum of the 300 cap reward and sale value of the resulting moonshine.
- Total reward (not counting the one-time repair job) is 600 caps [300 straight + 300 worth of moonshine].
- Cost in raw materials is 713 caps using wild punga fruit, or 813 caps using refined punga fruit!
- 450 [6 fission batteries x 75] + 63 [3 yeast x 21] + 200 [20 wild punga fruit x 10] = 713.
- 450 [6 fission batteries x 75] + 63 [3 yeast x 21] + 300 [10 refined punga fruit x 30] = 813.
- At 59% price (30 barter, without perks or merchant-specific discounts), completing the quest using refined punga fruit becomes unprofitable. Completing the quest using wild punga becomes unprofitable at 73% price (63 barter, without perks or merchant-specific discounts).
- If one happensto have both 20 wild punga fruit and 10 refined punga fruit in their inventory, they are allowed to choose which ones they turn in through the dialogue.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The practice of adding battery acid to moonshine is intended to make it taste more alcoholic than it actually is. It does not actually improve the finished product, and can, in fact, make it dangerous to consume.
- The original draft of this quest had the player character bringing in an additional 24 bottles of purified water to help brew the moonshine. This can be seen on the GECK's list of quest entries.
- The title of this quest is an allusion to the song from the movie Mary Poppins, titled "A Spoonful of Sugar." Marguerite pretends to be ill and originally says the ingredients will be used to concoct medicine. In the Mary Poppins song, "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."