Bug Verification Project
A Meeting of the Minds
A Meeting of the Minds
|Side Quest: A Meeting of the Minds|
|You sided with Desmond Lockheart in Thought Control.||You sided with Professor Calvert in Thought Control.|
|Inspect the ruins of Calvert Mansion and find the Panic Room.|
|Travel with Desmond to find the professor.||Travel to the lighthouse.|
|Enter the St. Aubin medical facility underground lab.|
|Follow Desmond to the professor.||Move through the lab to the professor.|
|Bypass or destroy all the security in the lab as you make your way to Professor Calvert's inner sanctum.|
|Talk to Professor Calvert.|
|Kill Professor Calvert.||Kill Desmond.|
|Reward: Desmond's eyeglasses|
|Talk to Professor Calvert again, and kill Calvert.|
|Reward: 300 XP, reward vault key, Microwave emitter and various ammunition.|
This mission begins slightly differently depending on who you sided with in Thought Control, either Desmond Lockheart or Professor Calvert. In either case, make your way to Point Lookout Lighthouse where a section of the floor slides away. The final showdown takes place in St. Aubin medical facility, a secret underground lab.
Sided with DesmondEdit
You installed the cogwave jammer and sided with Desmond.
- Tell Desmond you are ready. Desmond has tracked down Calvert's signal to the Lighthouse, in the underground lab, and is ready to end the 200 year-old feud.
' Note: This route makes Desmond essential until the final choice.
Sided with CalvertEdit
You destroyed the cogwave jammer and sided with Calvert.
- Travel to the Lighthouse. Desmond is not inside the panic room but has already made his way to the underground lab in the Lighthouse.
- Desmond will confront you about destroying his jammer. Through dialogue you can tell him you were tired of him being rude, or it was a trick to gain Calvert's trust, or decide to kill Desmond at this point. If you do not kill Desmond he will assist fighting robots and the player will be able to make the final choice later on.
Making Your Way to the BrainEdit
Once inside the lab, begin making your way down with Desmond, fighting turrets and several robobrains along the way. You can let Desmond run ahead and engage first; if hit enough he will become unconscious but will not die. If you have the robotics expert perk, then you may be able to deactivate the robobrains while they are distracted by Desmond. Take your time to loot each area because Desmond will usually not run ahead.
The first room on the left from when you enter the lab includes three first aid boxes and a Gatling laser. In the next room directly downstairs, use the terminal to deactivate the turrets and pick up a Mesmetron power cell and microfusion cells. If you delay long enough, Desmond will start to dance impatiently in front of the door.
In the next section, the first room on the left includes several types of energy weapon cells. The first room on the right is Dr. Stewart's office and includes an average safe with a Stealth Boy and other random loot, an ammo box with microfusion cells, and three pre-War books. The terminals in this room and those thereafter contain background notes on the lab. The last room before the stairs includes several more energy weapon and mesmetron cells.
The stairs lead to a round room with two doors, one open. The room on the right has more power cells and a security badge. A robobrain sentry is stationed behind a locked door in this room and will come out once you enter the room. After handling the sentry, check the small room for more ammo and a Stealth Boy before proceeding. The next level down has operating rooms; the second room on the right houses a bunch of chems. Use the terminal to unlock the door at the end of the hall. The next room has an easy safe with a Stealth Boy and many caps, as well as another Gatling laser and more energy weapons/ammo.
More stairs lead down to a hallway with several doors, all leading to bunks. Continue forward and you and Desmond will eventually reach Calvert's room, where you'll see the Brain himself in a massive glass tank surrounded by inactive protectrons and several fake protectron statues.
Who to kill?Edit
If you have not already killed Desmond, it is time for the final choice. You can wait for Desmond and Calvert to have a short, angry conversation, each of them claiming to have your support. (If you wait long enough, the dialogue will begin to loop.) Eventually you'll be forced to decide which of them to kill. If you speak to Calvert, he'll offer the greatest thing any human could ever hope for in exchange for your killing Desmond. You now have a decision to make...
If you side with Desmond, shoot at the Brain's glass tank until the glass shatters or attack one of the docile protectrons. (Desmond becomes temporarily essential until Calvert is completely dead.)
After the Brain is dead, any remaining robots will be disabled and you can talk to Desmond. He will be overjoyed to have finally won and remarks that everything that Calvert stole from him is finally all his (although he's still a bit rude to you). Desmond gives you the exit key.
After speaking to Desmond again, he will tell you that after he's done in the lab he will go north to confront another one of the "players". He refers to this contest as a "microcosm of the old world".
You also have the option of killing Desmond as well, but it is not mandatory.
If you side with Calvert, simply shoot at Desmond or place a grenade in his pocket. (Calvert becomes temporarily essential until Desmond is completely dead.)
Once Desmond is dead, the Professor will reward you with the greatest thing any human could ever hope for... DEATH! At least he'll try, at which point he'll send some of the previously inactive protectrons after you.
You must now kill Calvert as well, because the exit is sealed until he is dead.
In the sealed room, there are 2 ammunition-boxes, a safe, 2 first aid boxes, some energy weapon ammunition, some misc. items, and of course, the microwave emitter. There is also a ladder leading outside.
- After you exit via the ladder you may be attacked by a smuggler with a sniper rifle on an island to the south. The smuggler is beyond detection range and will not show up on your radar. His fire is extremely accurate and he will continue to fire at you even if you crouch and your status is [HIDDEN], but you may fast travel as soon as you get out. (If you've already been to Smuggler's shack and killed the smuggler, he may still respawn to attack you.)
- If you kill Desmond at any point, you can get his unique eyeglasses.
- There is no Karma for killing Desmond but he holds an ear, implying he is a good character.
- Prior to initiating hostilities, the player may attack, destroy, and loot every other Protectron on both the top and bottom tiers without interrupting the dialogue between Desmond and Calvert, and without retaliation from the Protectrons. The Protectrons that may be attacked can be identified by the slightly brighter light at the top of their heads.
- pc xbox360 Sometimes when you reach the first door that slams shut and requires you to hack or find a card, if you decide to hack it, when the door opens the player will not be able to proceed, an invisible barrier is blocking the door. This occasionally happens with others doors. To fix this, simply save where you are then reload the save. You should be able to go through the door, exiting to another area and returning will have the same effect. [verified]
- pc xbox360 ps3 Some ammunition boxes, items and containers cannot be opened; they can be reached by using the console command tcl through the floor. [verified]
- pc xbox360 ps3 It is possible that Desmond will run into the cupboard room when you open the first door after you meet up with him and then he doesn't move from there unless you proceed into the next area, where he still may not proceed with you. [verified]
- pc If you destroy Calvert's jar with a frag mine, his brain may continue floating in the air. [verified]
- ps3 It is possible to destroy Calvert's jar and leave his brain floating in the air on PS3 as well, although Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG was the weapon used to produce this result. In this instance, jumping into the brain caused it to dislodge from its spot and fall normally. [verified]
- pc The animation of Calvert's jar may get stuck leaving it cracked and the game will consider him dead, but the dialogue between him and Desmond continues to go on. [verified]
- pc Sometimes in the last circular room before the central room with Calvert, the game may glitch and force you to kill Desmond before the door will open to Calvert's chamber. During this time, if you talk to Desmond, he will have the same dialogue options he had after initially conversing with him, involving the tribals. [verified]