A Final Plan for Esteban
Return Morales' corpse to his wife Christina
My husband... he's a Ranger, and he... he got murdered by a pack of Fiends. Goddamn savages laid his body out to rot.”— Christina Morales
|Unmarked Quest: A Final Plan for Esteban|
|Go and speak to Pvt. Christina Morales at Camp McCarran to start the quest.|
|Retrieve the corpse of her husband.|
|Carry it to the nearby NCR troopers camped just northwest of where his corpse is found.|
|Return to Pvt. Morales and tell her of your deed.|
|Reward: Good Karma||Reward: 50 caps; discount with Kemp|
Heading south from Camp McCarran toward the map marker is one approach. The body can be found just northeast of the REPCONN headquarters. The player may be approached by an NCR trooper who offers some advice about retrieving the corpse. There are several options at this point as the location is commonly guarded by Fiends and explosive traps.
After recovering the body and returning with the news to Pvt. Morales, Doctor Kemp at Camp McCarran will offer discounts on both medical supplies and services.
|1||Private Morales has asked me to find and retrieve the corpse of her dead husband. His body is apparently being used as a lure to draw in NCR troops and slaughter them. Better keep a look out for traps and snipers...|
|2||The body is just east of REPCONN HQ and I should carry it to the troopers camped out on the north side of the railroad tracks.|
|3||Quest finished||I managed to get Ranger Morales' corpse away from the Fiends. I should return to Pvt. Morales and let her know her husband's body is safe.|
- A non-player character may accidentally detonate the mines around the corpse (for example a Traveler or a Fiend), blowing Private Morales to pieces and not allowing you to complete the quest. This can be fixed by writing the following commands in the console: prid (The reference number of the corpse) or select the corpse with a click, resurrect, kill. However, so long as he has a head the NCR troopers will take the body.
- If the player has discovered REPCONN Headquarters prior to taking this free quest, they may be tempted to fast travel there as a shortcut. Though quick, the fast travel point is within range of the Fiend ambush, and they will attack on the spot.
- One of the soldiers at the barricade will mention that they lost a man named Ranger Jackson, but there is no reward for returning Jackson's body. Jackson's body is near the rigged shotgun trap between two buildings. (Sometimes Jackson's body may not spawn.)
- If the player approaches the barricade with any significant amount of damage while carrying Morales's body, the stunned NCR soldier will comment on how the player sacrificed so much for a stranger.
- Inversely, managing to retrieve the body without taking any damage at all will elicit a similar level of astonishment at how the player managed to pull off what they considered to be a near-impossible feat.
- Sometimes you can see some troopers at Camp McCarran complaining about the NCR not retrieving the body and how this is affecting morale.
- Mr. New Vegas makes a report about this heroic deed once you've brought the corpse back, and have spoken with Christina Morales.
- If the player has a bad reputation with Caesar's Legion, Legionary assassins may appear and engage the two NCR troopers at the nearby barricade. If the trooper with dialogue is killed, you can still talk to Pvt. Morales to complete the quest.
- If Legionary assassins attack and kill the troopers after you engage dialogue with them and finish the quest, it will not affect future events and Morales's body still disappears.
- In order to trigger the dialogue with the soldiers at the barricade after recovering the corpse you have to drag it towards the front of the sandbags on the road.
- xbox360 Colonel Hsu doesn't always thank you for bringing the body back, after speaking to Pvt. Morales again. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 pc Mines fail to appear around the corpse, while the tripwire shotgun and bear traps are still in place. [verified]
- xbox360 pc Sometimes Pvt. Christina Morales disappears from the McCarran Concourse Hall after you have started it. If you go to the body, there are no NCR Troopers around to take it to. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Sometimes, if you mess about or leave the body at any point (or enter internal locations which require the game to go to a loading screen), it will disappear leaving no other option but to return to an earlier save point and return to the body's location to complete the quest. [verified]
- ps3 Ranger Morales is in pieces before you get even close to the body. There are no mines by it. This means that you cannot complete the quest. He may also be stuck inside the pavement, in which case you cannot shoot him. [verified]
- ps3 pc Esteban can be seen blinking even though he is dead. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 pc Sometimes, you won't receive the mission after talking to Pvt. Christina Morales, but you will be able to complete it regardless, just not get any reward for it. [verified]
- xbox360 Esteban will float in front of the player and remain suspended the whole way to the trooper checkpoint (or wherever else you go) without RS needing to be depressed.[verification overdue]