- Try to find a trace of Gabe in Higgs Village.
- Find Gabe's bowl behind what used to be Dr. Borous' house.
- Kill Gabe in the X-8 research center.
- Return to Dr. Borous.
To begin the quest, enter The Think Tank and initiate dialogue with Dr. Borous. Following all speech paths, he will mention his pet dog, Gabe, and his experiments upon him. After this talk with the doctor, head over to Higgs Village, which is in the south of Big MT. When the player first enters, the objective is the house to the left on the far corner; House #103. Behind the house is a doghouse with the letters "GABE" spelled out below it on a mat. Gabe's bowl is also on the mat, which the Courier must take.
|The following is based on the Wild Wasteland trait and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
If the player has taken the Wild Wasteland trait, a unique miniature deathclaw named Stripe will be inside the doghouse. His name will be on the doghouse, and the letters from Gabe's name will be scattered on the ground. Stripe has the melee damage and health of a full sized deathclaw alpha male. He will only pursue the player to just near the fountain, then run back behind the house. (Stripe will also appear after this quest has been completed if the player switches his trait to Wild Wasteland through the Sink Auto-Doc after retrieving Gabe's bowl.) Also, a 'chicken leg' will appear at the door of the doghouse.
|End of information based on the Wild Wasteland trait.|
The Courier should then proceed to the X-8 research center and go through the main quest line for this area, X-8: High School Horror!, until they reach the Residential Test Facility portion of the quest. Once the Courier activates the Residential test, the Courier will encounter a simulation of a house with a garden, and a unique cyberdog named Gabe will be patrolling the area. You must search the digging areas, which have quest markers pointing to them, until you find an audio sample called Gabriel's bark. Dr. Borous will be grateful if Gabe is not killed, although utilizing proper dialogue when speaking to Dr. Borous will result in positive responses even if he is killed. Once the Courier finds the audio tape, some robo-scorpions will appear and proceed to attack Gabe. It is possible to save him, but player must act quickly. Even if you save Gabe from the robo-scorpions, he will still remain hostile to the player.
When the Courier returns to Dr. Borous and gives him the dog bowl, he will reminisce about his dog and thank the Courier for killing Gabe, as he believes it saved him the trouble. If the player kept Gabe alive, Dr. Borous will thank the player for sparing him. For Dr. Borous to feel remorse for the horrid experimentation he did on Gabe, the Courier must pass a Speech check of 45 or have the Animal Friend perk.
- Gabe's corpse explodes about 10 seconds after death. However, you can still loot Gabe after the explosion.
- This quest can be started before talking to Dr. Borous by picking up Gabe's bowl while in Higgs Village.
- If the player suggests to Dr. Klein that he consult his colleagues when confronting the Think Tank near the end of the add-on's main quest line, completing this quest and causing Dr. Borous to feel guilty over Gabe will incline him to vouch for the player.
- If Dr. Borous was caused to feel guilty over the treatment of Gabe, the Courier may return, each 24 hours thereafter, to ask Dr. Borous about torturing creatures, Dr. Borous will insist it is research and give the Courier assorted items dropped from dead cazadores and/or night stalkers.
Behind the scenes
The quest name comes from the common phrase, "A dog is man's best friend".