| ||For an overview of assault rifle models in all games, see assault rifle.|
|The following is based on Fallout Tactics and some details might contradict canon.|
The AK-47 and its derivatives formed the mainstay of the Soviet Armies. Its reliability, ruggedness and accuracy have earned it the reputation of being the best assault rifle ever made.”
More powerful than the M16A1 but with shorter range. Both the gun and its 7.62mm ammo are very common and you can afford to equip most of your squad with them. While it is a staple midgame weapon for gun-toting characters, it gradually loses its effectiveness towards endgame as heavily armored enemies become more common.
- 6 in Freeport; one in a locker, and the other 5 carried by raiders. Three of the raiders are in the individual tents, one is guarding the still, and one is in the locked house.
- Rock Falls, 25 carried by raiders
- Macomb, 26 carried by raiders
- Peoria, 1 found on a raider's corpse
- Quincy, 3 carried by beastlords
- Mardin, 2 carried by beastlords
- Springfield, found on multiple raiders
- Junction City, 14 carried by Enforcers and 5 can be located in the cave system below the city.
- Cold Water, 5 carried by BOS deserters
Behind the scenesEdit
- The AK-47 is a simple assault rifle of Soviet origin, invented by Mikhail Kalashnikov in 1947 and adopted by the Soviet Army in 1949. AK-47s were manufactured across the world during the second half of the 20th century through the beginning of the 21st century. In 1956, AK-47s were adopted by the Chinese Army (PLA) but were replaced with new-generation assault rifles prior to the Great War.
- The AK-47 was replaced in service by the AK-112 assault rifle at some point before the Great War.
- After the Great War, AK-47s were produced by different workshops and remaining factories throughout the Wasteland, but by some coincidence were not seen in the West Coast, within the NCR limits, nor in the Capital Wasteland.