@@[$((*&^#%]@@. @@[*.......]@@... @@[$((*&^#%]@@. ("I apologize for my emotional display. But it is a serious matter what you have brought up.")”
Doctor 8 is a pre-War doctor who became a think tank to continue his work at the Big MT. He has lost the ability to talk due to damage sustained to his voice module during an encounter with another visitor, Elijah. Instead, he transmits RobCo sound waves, which appears in subtitles as patterned RobCo terminal symbols. However, after passing a 75 Science check or a 7 Perception check, the Courier seems to understand his language, although this does not alter the subtitled text.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- Old World Blues: If Klein can't be convinced otherwise, 8, along with 2 other members of the Think Tank, are needed to convince Klein to give up trying to escape the Big MT.
- Picking Your Brains: After completing Welcome to the Big Empty, the player needs to talk to 8 and the rest of the think tanks to complete this quest.
- Welcome to the Big Empty: The player has to talk to 8 as with the rest of the Think tank to complete the quest.
- On The Same Wavelength: Though there is a language barrier between the player and Dr. 8, a Perception of 7 or a Science skill of 75 will enable communication with him.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
If the player has shown 8 the fully upgraded sonic emitter, and if the player doesn't have a 100 in Science or 85 in Medicine to convince Doctor Klein, 8 will side with the player in convincing Klein to back down.
- Talking to 8 with a fully upgraded sonic emitter will please him immensely, and he will provide 100 energy cells out of gratitude.
- Through a humorous dialogue involving him 'warming up' the sonic emitter, he will give the Courier 2 containers of Cram and 2 duct tapes (if male). After completing the quest On The Same Wavelength, the player can speak to the doctor about what he did to the sonic emitter.
- Sympathizing with his 'needs' will yield ten microfusion cells and a copy of "Tales of Chivalrie" (if the player character is female), or "La Fantoma!" (if the character is male). Once a day, it is possible to ask him if he knows any good ways to "'pass' the 'time'" (a clear euphemism for masturbation), which will yield the same gift; however, asking him for something to "literally" pass the time yields an egg timer instead.
- Consoling him by telling him that his urges are natural opens up the option to ask him if he has made any new discoveries, which will yield a copy of "Programmer's Digest," "Fixin' Things" and a sensor module.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|-||Drained microfusion cell
Microfusion cell, over charge
- His knowledge of the sonic emitter, the equipment discovered in his Higgs Village house, and his initial conversation with the Courier and the 5 monitors are all signs of Doctor 8's specialization in sound technology.
- Apart from the usual items the think tank scientists carry, he also carries a skill magazine.
- He can be hacked through a dialogue option (requiring 75 science) to gain some energy weapon ammunition and bad Karma.
- The friendship part of Mobius' speech probably refers to 8 for many reasons: First he has a Meeting People magazine, second Dala mentions that the Think Tank prefers 8 without the capacity to speak properly, third, he often differs with the opinions of his partners.
- His name may also reference a possible obsessive-compulsory focus on octaves - the interval between one musical pitch and another with half or double it's frequency. In his home (#108 in Higgs Village), there are groups of eight coffee cups, eight clocks, eight picture frames, eight plates, etc.
- His voice module wasn't actually damaged - it was reprogrammed. This can be discovered by talking to him after getting the sonic emitter upgrade.
- "@@[=$+<_--*]@@? @@[$((*#8#%]@@. @@[$((*&^#%]@@. ("Who am I? I am Dr. 8, audio engineer at this facility.")"
- "@@[$((*&^#%]@@. @@[*.......]@@... @@[$((*&^#%]@@. ("I apologize for my emotional display. But it is a serious matter what you have brought up.")"
- "@@[*.......]@@... @@[*.......]@@..? @@[*......*]@@. ("Um... a little embarrassed about this, but yes, I creamed hard into your gun.")"
- "@@[$((*&^#%]@@. @@[*.......]@@... @@[$((*&^#%]@@. ("I couldn't possibly expect you to understand.")"
- "@@[*.......]@@... @@[#-!!!!-#]@@! ("You need to hurry!")"
Behind the scenesEdit
His name is a reference to infinity, as the number 8 is an infinite loop, and the symbol for infinity (∞) resembles a sideways "8". This is featured in a conversation with Doctor Mobius.