| ||For an overview of 5.56mm ammunition types in various Fallout games, see 5.56mm round.|
Relatively speaking, the 5.56mm round is the third most common small guns ammunition found in the game, compared to the .32 caliber round and 10mm round. After The Waters of Life, the 5.56 round becomes more common as enemies will use assault rifles more often than .32 hunting rifles. The 5.56mm rounds' world model is a black box magazine (resembling the magazines from the Chinese assault rifle).
Weapons using this ammunitionEdit
- R91 assault rifle
- Chinese assault rifle
- Xuanlong assault rifle
- Infiltrator The Pitt (add-on)
- Perforator The Pitt (add-on)
5.56 rounds are typically found on raiders, the Talon Company, and at super mutant camps. Notable areas to search include the ruins of Washington, D.C. and the Metro tunnels underneath the Downtown area. However, 5.56 rounds appear to be scarce early in the game. Large amounts of 5.56 rounds can be acquired quickly through several means:
- At Fort Independence, Brotherhood Outcast Casdin will trade technology items for 5.56 rounds, stimpaks, frag grenades, or RadAway. It is notable that Casdin's subtitles incorrectly say " .556 ammunition" instead of "5.56 ammunition". See the unmarked quest The Outcast Collection Agent.
- Fourteen clips round spread throughout Metro Central, of which 4 near a female Talon Company merc behind a wrecked train in the waiting area.
- In the Fallout 3 add-on The Pitt, completing the quest Free Labor will unlock the ammo press. Located in The Mill of The Pitt, the ammo press converts any ballistics-based firearm ammunition or scrap metal into any other type of ballistic firearm ammunition, including 5.56 rounds.
- Four ammunition boxes in the Arlington Pubic Libary lobby, just to the left when entering.
- Three boxes in the Super-Duper Mart, next to the protectron terminal in the storage room.