With regret comes a girl... smiling sad, brown robe, name Veronica, half here. Wraps her and her heart up like a pack, in the pack, a key, some say.
Forecast: Cloudy, with a chance of friendship.”— The Forecaster, Fallout: New Vegas
The 188 trading post is a location in the Mojave Wasteland. It is a small outpost made up of makeshift shacks and tents. Veronica Santangelo, a player companion, can be recruited here. The post is located directly north of El Dorado Dry Lake, west-northwest of Boulder City, and south of Camp Golf.
Established by Michelle and her father Samuel after escaped convicts overran Primm, a great deal of travelers pass through the trading post. As I-15 was shut down due to deathclaws overrunning Quarry Junction, Highway 93 became the only way for NCR citizens to safely reach New Vegas. Coming, people casually spend the money they had conserved for gambling at the casinos. Going, the same people (now completely depleted of all their money) also go through the 188, this time willing to literally give the shirts off their backs to avoid starving before making it back to their homes in the NCR.
Its name comes from the actual spot it's in; it is situated at the intersection of Highways 93 and 95 - the two numbers add up to 188.
Upon arrival you will see campfires and vehicles/shacks on an overpass. There is an Arms merchant at the left end of the overpass, and Veronica Santangelo, a companion you can get near the center of the overpass. Facing Veronica is the merchant Samuel Kerr and his daughter Michelle Kerr who run a small shop. Samuel Kerr can also repair items.
Above the overpass to the north there is a very small NCR garrison with some tents (a couple of free beds inside where you can sleep). There are also a few unnamed generic NCR troops, later on at a high enough level the NCR troopers will be replaced with NCR heavy troopers equipped with heavy incinerators and super sledges.
- Ezekiel: Associated with the Followers of the Apocalypse.
- Veronica Santangelo: Associated with the Brotherhood of Steel. She's also a permanent companion that gives the Scribe Assistant perk.
- Samuel Kerr: Sells food and offers repair services.
- Michelle Kerr: Sells weapons, ammunition, and food.
- Arms merchant: Sells weapons, ammunition, weapon mods, armor and clothing, and miscellaneous items.
- Alexander: A Gun Runner who sells weapons, weapon mods, miscellaneous items, and ammunition if a speech check is passed. His offerings are not as broad as the main Gun Runner shop, but he generally sells items not commonly sold there.
- Gun Runners guard: Alexander's bodyguard
- The Forecaster: Sells 'thoughts' about "You", "Everywhere", and "Here" for 100 caps each.
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap laying on the bar that Samuel is behind.
- This place is often attacked by Legionary assassins.
The 188 trading post appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.