A powerful, .45 caliber, late 19th century era black powder rifle round, .45-70 Gov't (Government) rounds are one of the rarer types of ammunition found in the Mojave Wasteland. However, especially at higher levels, they can be sold in decent quantities by some merchants. The most reliable source of .45-70 Gov't rounds is Gun Runners, as it updates its inventory every three days.
Weapons using this ammunition
- Brush gun
- Medicine Stick Gun Runners' Arsenal
- Hunting revolver
Standard and SWC .45-70 Gov't rounds can be crafted at a reloading bench. A single cartridge requires the following ingredients:
|Name||Skill Requirement||Produced on||Items Required|
|.45-70 Gov't round||Repair: 65||Reloading bench||Case, .45-70 Gov't (1)||Lead (30)||Powder, rifle (4)||Primer, large rifle (1)|
|.45-70 Gov't SWC (hand load)||Repair: 90||Reloading bench||Case, .45-70 Gov't (1)||Lead (40)||Powder, rifle (5)||Primer, large rifle (1)|
Breaking down a standard .45-70 round yields:
|Name||Skill Requirement||Produced on||Items Produced|
|.45-70 Gov't||Repair: 65||Reloading bench||Case, .45-70 Gov't||Lead (27)||Powder, rifle (3)||Primer, large rifle|
.45-70 Gov't, hollow point
Hollow point bullets mushroom or fragment on impact, causing massive trauma to unarmored targets, similar to those of buckshot. On the flip side however, since the bullet loses all of its energy upon contact, it will hardly be able to penetrate armored targets.
.45-70 Gov't, SWC (hand load)
Flat-nosed round designed to deal maximum damage to targets at close range by tumbling when it hits. This type of round was originally designed to shoot paper targets. This ammunition type puts a severe strain on your gun's condition due to its extremely heavy powder load. It requires the Hand Loader perk to craft.
|45-70 Gov't||x 1||x 1||x 1||x 1||Yes||35% Chance|
|45-70 Gov't, hollow point||x 1.75||x 3||x 1||x 1||No||35% Chance|
|45-70 Gov't, SWC (hand load)||x 1.2||- 6||x 3||x 1||Yes||20% Chance|
- Can be pick-pocketed from Rangers and Veteran Rangers (Note that pickpocketing ammunition cases rather than the ammunition itself will always succeed and accrues no Karma loss)
- Can be purchased from Alexander at the Gun Runners outpost underneath the 188 Trading Post overpass
- Can be found on several members of the Great Khans in Red Rock Canyon
- Can be bought at Gun Runners outside the East Gate to Freeside
- Knight Torres can have the normal ammunition in stock
- A fairly large amount of this ammunition can be found in the Legion Supply Cache during the Caesar's Favor quest
- Around 400-600 rounds can be bought off Quartermaster Bardon every 72 hours at Hoover Dam. This is not always the case.
- Can be purchased from the Great Khan armorer at the Great Khan armory
- Can be purchased from Mick at Mick & Ralph's at higher levels (After passing a Speech check of 30, asking for his special inventory)
- Can be found in the NCR Ranger safehouse
- Can be acquired from lobotomites if they have the hunting revolver or brush gun equipped
- Several rounds can be found in the underwater Lake Mead Cave.