The .357 Magnum revolver is a single action, fixed-cylinder revolver that fires .357 Magnum and .38 special rounds. It has an average firing rate but makes up for it with a somewhat more powerful damage output. Its fixed cylinder is reloaded by hand one round at a time through the loading gate, as such it can be interrupted mid-way through reloading and fired if needed.
The iron sights are low to the gun with hardly any protrusion and thus are suited more to close-range combat. The .357 cannot jam, making it a reliable weapon. It is considered an improved holdout weapon and can be concealed and taken into weapon-free locations with 50 or greater Sneak skill. The .357 Magnum revolver can be an effective weapon in earlier levels, as there is an abundance of both the weapon itself and its associated ammunition types.
The .357 Magnum revolver is visually represented as a somewhat worn, medium-gray revolver. While the action and barrel are constructed of steel or iron, the grip appears to be carved from an antler. Some two hundred years ago this was likely a fine, highly performing weapon, but years of elemental and human abuse have eroded the pistol, leaving it a weathered, though still serviceable revolver.
The .357 Magnum revolver can fire a total of about 995 standard rounds, the equivalent of 166 reloads, from full condition before breaking. When modded with the heavy duty cylinder, it can fire a total of about 1,495 standard rounds, the equivalent of 250 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ HD cylinder|
|Standard, HP & JFP||995||166||1495||250|
- .357 Magnum revolver long barrel - increases the weapon's damage by 3.
- .357 revolver heavy duty cylinder - increases the weapon's durability by 50%.
- Lucky - A unique .357 revolver that can be found in a Hard locked safe in the Bison Steve Hotel in Primm.
- Police pistol Dead Money - A smaller revolver that can be repaired with .357 Magnum revolvers.
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Attacks in V.A.T.S.||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||Action point cost||- Action point cost|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per action point||- Damage per action point|
|Damage per second||- Damage per second||Weapon spread||- Weapon spread|
|Area of effect damage||- Area of effect damage||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|Effect damage & duration||- Effect damage & duration||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Bonus effects||- Bonus effects||Weight||- Weight|
|Attacks per second||- Attacks per second||Value in caps||- Value in caps|
|Critical chance % multiplier||- Critical chance % multiplier||Value to weight ratio||- Value to weight ratio|
|Critical damage||- Critical damage||Skill required||- Skill required|
|Critical effect damage & duration||- Critical effect damage & duration||Strength required||- Strength required|
|With all mods attached||- With all mods attached|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second||Attacks per second||Critical Chance % multiplier||Critical damage||Action Point cost||Damage per action point||Weapon spread||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||Weight||Value in caps||Value to weight ratio||Skill required||Strength required|
|.357 Magnum revolver||26||45.5||1.75||x1||26||26||1||0.5||6||995||2||110||55||0||3|
|.357 Magnum revolver With all weapon mods attached||29||50.8||1.75||x1||26||26||1.1||0.5||6||1495||2||810||405||0||3|
|Police pistol fnvdm||30||60||2||x1||45||19||1.6||0.5||6||1120||3||1000||333.3||0||4|
- Aerotech Office Park - in the locked (difficulty is level dependent) bathroom in Aerotech suite 300.
- Black Mountain - on the body of a dead NCR trooper, located on the road leading up to the summit.
- Goodsprings has an abundance of .357 Magnum revolvers. Trudy, Chet, Easy Pete, Goodsprings settlers and Joe Cobb all carry one, and an additional one is sitting in a glass behind the bar in the Prospector Saloon.
- Goodsprings Cemetery - one might spawn in one of the graves, a shovel is needed to dig it out.
- Gun Runners - the Vendortron sells them.
- HELIOS One - Lieutenant Haggerty carries one.
- Klamath Bob's Liquor Store, Westside - behind the counter along with some ammunition.
- Monte Carlo Suites - on the body of a dead gambler, located in the ruins to the east.
- Nipton - One can be found on the bottom shelf of a workbench inside one of the houses.
- During the quest Birds of a Feather, the suicide bomber carries one.
- Kings members might carry one.
- Powder Gangers might also carry one.
- Sold by merchants at low levels.
- The .357 Magnum is the revolver featured on many Fallout: New Vegas promotional images. On the main title screen, it appears to have the long barrel modification attached.
- Despite being held by an NCR Veteran Ranger in the main title screen and many promotional images, it is never part of their standard inventory in-game.
- Unlike all other revolvers, the .357 Magnum will not jam.
Behind the scenesEdit
- xbox360 If ammo type is changed to a type of ammunition that one has less than six of and the ammunition type loaded before changing had six loaded then the player character will continue to play the reload animation forever. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Occasionally when using the .357 Magnum in V.A.T.S., one will stand still and do nothing. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 This gun is affected by the reloading glitch, meaning it can be changed to load a certain ammo and be completely filled by loading only one round.[verified]
- ps3 xbox360 When reloading and running in third person, the cylinder will remain open, to fix this, switch to first person and back, or wait for the game to close the gate.[verified]
|Attack sound||Reload sound|