| ||For an overview of .308 ammunition types in various Fallout games, see .308 caliber round.|
.308 caliber round
The .308 caliber round is the third rarest Small Guns ammunition found in the game, next to .44 round, magnum, and the BBs; very few enemies carry sniper rifles, and many are located in hard to reach places (unless the player uses the Bloody Mess perk to scatter the enemy's remains and make them easily lootable) or have only a small number of rounds to be looted. A notable sniper is Arkansas in Minefield. The hunting rifle largely provides the same effect while using the much more common .32 caliber round, making the sniper rifle and variants limited in effectiveness until the player gathers a stockpile of ammunition.
- Chief Gustavo in Tenpenny Tower
- Flak and Shrapnel in Rivet City
- Karl in Meresti Metro station
- Knight Captain Durga in the Citadel
- Lucky Harith will have many of these rounds after investing in him during the unmarked quest Merchant Empire.
- Sydney after moving to Underworld
- Moira Brown will sometimes sell .308 ammunition.
|Closest map marker||Amount||Description|
|Bethesda ruins||At least 50 (with the Scrounger perk)||There is a sniper perched in a window of a dilapidated office building. While the sniper rifle itself is in poor condition, there are ammunition boxes by the window and a dead raider's corpse to be looted for .308 caliber rounds.|
|Calvert Mansion||Roughly 5 .308 rounds||To the west in an old green house (average locked ammunition box)|
|Megaton||Roughly 10 .308 rounds||There is a hollowed-out rock to the South behind Megaton which contains .308 caliber rounds, in addition to a sniper rifle and some stimpaks.|
|Minefield||A set of .308 ammunition boxes||The set of ammunition boxes can be found near Arkansas.|
|Rivet City||Several ammunition boxes roughly 5 rounds in each box||There are several ammunition boxes on the upper balconies.|
|Rockbreaker's Last Gas||Roughly 10 .308 rounds||In a sniper shack west of Rockbreaker's Last Gas. .308 rounds in average locked ammunition box. The Victory rifle is also here in a very hard locked locker.|
|Turtledove Detention Camp (Point Lookout add-on)||Roughly 50 .308 rounds||In the administration office, to the left.|
|Yao guai tunnels||Roughly 10 .308 rounds||South west of the yao guai tunnels, near the wastelander tent at the sniper perch.|
- If The Pitt has been downloaded, the ammo press can be utilized to make this ammunition out of scrap metal as long as the Free Labor quest has been completed.
- There is a glitch in the Operation: Anchorage add-on that can be exploited to acquire the ammunition in large amounts. Please refer to Operation: Anchorage bugs for details.