The day I set my flag down, it'll be over my body or over a nation I believe in.”
Ulysses is a courier for the Mojave Express in 2281. One of seven hired by Victor to carry strange packages to the Strip North Gate, Ulysses was originally supposed to deliver the Platinum Chip - a task left to the Courier after Ulysses' mysterious disappearance.
Ulysses was once a successful Bighorner rancher at Wolfhorn Ranch, but he recently abandoned his Ranch and is now nowhere to be seen. He is known to have some sort of a relationship with the Courier, but the nature of this relationship is unknown.
Some time before the events of Dead Money, Christine was trapped by Father Elijah in the Big Empty and was subject to torturous medical experimentation. She was rescued by a courier who said that he knew Elijah, and who "wore the flag of the old world on his back", suggesting that the courier's identity may be in fact Ulysses. This person said he was searching for another courier, and encouraged Christine to continue her pursuit of Elijah because he knew what it was like to search for someone who'd had such a major impact on your life.
Christine's comments give greater context to an event that had happened more recently, just before the events of Fallout: New Vegas began. A courier was at the Mojave Express in Primm receiving a delivery order. He was to deliver the Platinum Chip, an offer he was about to accept until he saw the Courier's name down next on the list. He asked Johnson Nash if the Courier's name was for real, as if he'd expected the Courier to be dead. Nash informed him that the Courier was still kicking, and the courier flat-out turned down the job, and the caps that it was worth. He only said "No, let 'Courier Six' carry the package", as if he expected the Mojave Wasteland to finish the Courier off, and then left without another word.
Depending on how Dead Money ended, the ending slides say that word would eventually reach both Christine and Dog of some sort of a battle in the future. The battle is said to take place at the Divide, "beneath the torn skies and the old world flag", and to be between two couriers, "each carrying a message for the other".
|The following is based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Ulysses was originally supposed to be a companion in Fallout: New Vegas, but was cut from the final version of the game and now only appears in the trading cards that came with the Collector's Edition. According to Chris Avellone, "he [...] was a complicated character in terms of some of the hooks into the storyline".
|End of information based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|
Behind the scenes
- Ulysses is derived from Ulixes, the Latin name for Odysseus, which would strengthen his connection to the Legion as Legionaries always seem to have Latin names. Odysseus was a Greek king who was most famous for his epic voyage, as well as being known for his cunning and deceit.
- Interestingly, Ulysses' has a connection to the Big Empty, a location in Black Isle's canceled Fallout 3. This location was reworked later in development into Tibbets Prison, a location run by the schizophrenic AI ODYSSEUS. ODYSSEUS was known in earlier design documents as ULYSSES.
Ulysses was planned to appear in Fallout: New Vegas, but was ultimately cut from the final game. He is referenced repeatedly in Dead Money, and in two of the characters' endings, his appearance in a future add-on is alluded to.
- ↑ According to Yes Man, seven couriers were hired, not six.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dialogue with Johnson Nash.
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide.
- ↑ Fallout New Vegas DLC Mysteries: Update | Fallout: New Vegas
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Feature Interview: Chris Avellone, Game Designer, Fallout: New Vegas by Matt London | Lightspeed Magazine