It doesn't hurt to start to ask questions. I hate the new skin, and even if we decide to stick around there's always the possibility that something in the future might again force this question open - What would we do if Wikia decided to shut down, or made even worse changes down the line. Having a contingency plan (or at least an idea of what that plan could look like) can't hurt us.
I'm all for setting up some sort of spokesperson or committee to investigate the options out there and approach potential partners (Bethesda, NMA, DAC, et al). We can decide whether or not to go when we have all the facts at hand.
I don't begrudge Wikia making money, its a business after all, but there has to be a line; I think the upcoming changes loses the focus on encyclopaedia, and frankly look hideous.
Agent c 19:04, October 8, 2010 (UTC)
- Note, I'm not saying we should go/fork... Just ask a few questions. Knowledge is never a bad thing. Agent c 00:24, October 9, 2010 (UTC)
Secondly, if we do choose to leave at any point, this wiki will not be taken down, and if someone else decides to come and take over, then the new wiki would be completely screwed from the get-go.
Finally, I think that Agent c is right that we should have a contingency, and if we do decide to move, we should make the move very carefully planned, such as sabotaging the existing wiki. Yuri Kaslov
I don't think we should move either. I don't like the new skin, but as Yuri says, most stuff still works. Also, we're established here, and that counts for something. I think we can get the functionality back for the most part with the new Wikia look. --Kris 00:37, October 9, 2010 (UTC)
SimpsonsWiki has gone. It looks like at least one admin was banned. Agent c 16:32, October 9, 2010 (UTC)
We should download the data, delete every article, and in the new wiki, we shall call it the vault, and in the site description, we shall put "The Vault has moved from wikia, here to shoutwiki. Don't go to the one on Wikia, we have moved". Then users will come here instead. Tezzla Cannon 10:48, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- We 100% cannot move, because Ausir works for Wikia. He likes having a job, and him leaving over the skin wouldn't go over well.
- Or, I think so. I mean, we could always impeach him or something. :P Nitty Tok. 13:47, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
Could someone give me an example of the new layout? I think I've seen it, but I can't be sure. It looks the same to me as the old one, so I don't see the issue. --Revolverman 10:58, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
He can still go to Wikia. Just because we move doesn't mean he can't go to Wikia still. Tezzla Cannon 16:19, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- But the Vault would still stay here, and it would still have Ausir, who's really what makes us better than that Neoseeker wiki that's copying us.
- I mean, me and Porter and Grizzly and peeps could pack up and leave, but it wouldn't be much fun without Ausir. We also couldn't just burn this version of the Vault in favour of a ShoutWiki or wherever Vault, because Ausir would prefer we keep it. Nitty Tok. 16:22, October 10, 2010 (UTC)